Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Verizon Rains..Er, Reigns

You all may wonder where I disappeared to. Well my phone has been out of order. Since I use dial-up, so has my computer. Yesterday, I called from the Captain's Wheel. 1-800-483-1000.

I get this nice lady who starts asking me questions. It soon became apparent that instead of a nice lady, I was having a conversation with a computer. This is not easy. (I wonder if they have an area at Hewlett-Packard that manufactures nice ladies for the phone company?) Well, I digress... This is what took place.

Q: Are you calling from the phone that you are having trouble with?
A: No! If the damned thing worked well enough to call you on it, I wouldn't have bothered you.

Q: I did not understand your answer. Please answer yes or no.
A: No.

Q: Do you have a dial tone?
A: No.

Q: If we have scheduling problems, can we reach you at this number?
A: No, I told you It's broke.

Q: We will have someone out to fix it tomorrow between 8:00 AM and 12:00 NOON. If it is our wiring it will cost you nothing. If it is yours, the first :30 will cost you $91.00.
A: Say What??

Q: I'm sorry, I didn't understand your answer. Please answer yes or no.
A: OK, fine, thank you...

Obvious to me are two things. One, a computer has more patience than I, and is much more polite. It was their wiring, and I was not charged.

The fact that the outage was coincidental to my try-out of the new weed eater I bought was not brought up. Anyway, I'm back...

2 comments:

Word Tosser said...

I wondered what happen... Ken kept asking me...did Herb answer that question yet? I would say no... maybe he is out of town...Glad you are back on line and doing well... Will wait for you to weed thru all the emails to find out what question we asked...lol ... no pun intended on the weedwacker... lol...
Which you might want to catch my posting for tonight.

StibitzRK said...

Good to see ya back online Herb. Maybe next time the phone company calls ya... ohhh, say to see if you were satisfied with their service; you could say, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand your question. Please answer yes or no."