Monday, January 08, 2007

Cab Tales 1

When I arrived back in the Coeur d'Alene area in 1990, I had left the Seattle area with my tail between my legs, severely depressed. I had sunk my net worth into a startup company called Westgate Mortgage Corp. I started this company in the fall of 1986. Interest rates were at a low of 8 3/4% for the first time since 1979. The spring of 1987 saw interest rates surge upward to 10 3/4% in just two weeks.

I was caught with over $5,000,000 in rate reduction refinances in process, losing most of them. After struggling for 2 or 3 years, I sold everything and moved to Dalton Gardens. A homecoming that was 18 years after I had left the first time.

Close to broke, discouraged and probably clinically depressed, I opened a used paperback store called, "Herb's Paperback Exchange." Very little income was derived from that, and I called an old friend of 20 years, Jerry Anderson. I told him I wanted to drive cab for him. Thence this relationship became a two or three year gig, ending with me managing the night crew.

In the next few weeks I'm going to write down some of the more unusual experiences I had while driving for Sunset Taxi. I hope it will prove interesting for you, as I plumb the depth of memories that have somewhat faded.


Dogwalkmusings said...

Bring it on, Herb. Sounds like fun!

raymond pert said...

I'll be back every day to see if you've posted a story. I'm really looking forward to this series.

This tale you wrote today isn't happy and I don't enjoy what knowing what fell apart for you in Seattle, but I enjoyed reading the story and finding this out about you.


Mommy Dearest said...

I'm bummed that I never got to visit Herb's Paperback Exchange. I think there's another topic for you - owning a paperback exchange store. You're full of stories, Sweet Herb.