Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cab Tales...Prisoner

Perhaps the most difficult story to tell is the one I'm about to describe. I saved it to last because it is such an emotional experience, both for me and the victim.

One night, I got a radio call from Texas Bob. He had picked up a woman wandering around scared, beaten and looking for help. Since I was in charge of the shift, I arranged a rendezvous with him to take charge of his passenger.

She was scared and had been badly beaten. The story she told was chilling. Her live in Boyfriend was a Meth addict and perhaps a dealer. He got mad at her, threw her into his truck, drove to Fernan Lake, where he stripped her and threw her into the water naked.

As she managed to wade ashore, he came back. He threw her back into the pickup, raped her, (she called it rough sex) and threatened to kill her. He then took her home, where he barricaded the door to a bedroom, not allowing her access to the rest of the house, or freedom. That imprisonment lasted several days, while he apparently waited for her bruises to disappear.

Somehow she had managed to escape while he was out. It has to be pointed out at this time that she was injured too badly, prior to this for an escape. I called the Women's shelter, but there wasn't space for her there.

Her parents lived in Hayden. I offered to take her there. She started to go for that, until she realized that the guy that did all this to her would head straight there. I took her to my place and left her with a place to sleep.

The next day I called the Coeur d'Alene Police, and had an officer meet us at my home. A criminal complaint was made, and that was the last of the situation that I was aware of. I still wonder what became of her.

3 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

The frightening thing is there is probably a lot of this still going on. Makes my blood run cold.

Word Tosser said...

That is so true... and the other scary part was that ..you have to be careful who YOU bring home, as she could have charged you instead.. to cover for the boyfriend.. it has been done.

Bay Views said...

I didn't even think about that. I just did what I thought was right at the time.