Monday, January 01, 2007

"Sweet Herb"

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions this year, as I didn't last year either.

Amongst the political rants, bitterness, rancor, obsessing, naming and other sins of commission that we see on the internet, comes along "Wondering." In chastising a person she believes fits one or more of these categories, she referred to me as "Sweet Herb."

I am of mixed emotions. One would, of course like to be thought of in positive terms. The downside is that I have alternately profiled myself as a Curmudgeon, a nasty old man with issues, and of course a Muckraker.

I ask you...Am I to start the New Year trying to fit this new image, or attempt to regain the ground I lost when this person called me "sweet?"

After reading this, and pondering, I picked up the "Today" section of the Spokesman-Review. The featured article was the history of names for babies over the years. Someone asked me, not too long ago, where and how I was named Herb.

I was told by my Mom that there was a comic strip character named Herb, in the 30's.

In an amazing example of prescience, they named me after this comic strip. Go figure.

Now, facing the New Year, I find myself in a dilemma. Curmudgeon or Sweet Herb? Wondering has, without knowing it, picked my New Years resolution. I will try my best to live up to this "sweet" image, kicking and screaming all the way. This will be a stretch for a comic strip character named after a Curmudgeon. Or...Whatever...

5 comments:

raymond pert said...

I'll complicate your dilemma. There's always something sweet that underlies your grousing and grumbling. I think you might be able to keep being a curmudgeon and be sweetness at the same time. That's how I've experienced your writing.
I know you looked sweet in the picture with Taryn. And, I know that you put some sweet effort into your world famous potato salad. You are many things at the same time, sir. Enjoy it!!

stebbijo said...

Sweet Herb? Well - some of us know better! ;-)

Word Tosser said...

And here I thought you were the Andy Rooney of the blogs...lol...
Just goes to show... you might be grinching on the outside, but you are a marshmellow on the inside

Mommy Dearest said...

Sweet Herb indeed. I still like "Potato Salad King." By the way, when are you going to blog about your former life as a taxi driver? About single-handedly improving the traffic flow thru Farragut State Park? I'm waiting, Sweet Herb. We're all waiting ...

Idaho Dad said...

Hi! Just wanted to wish you a happy new year before it's too late to do so. Thanks for all the great posts (and the potato salad) this past year. I wish you all the best blogging in 2007!