Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Disparaging Words


Recently, the law firm of Wetzel, Wetzel, Bredeson & Holt sent a letter to the Bayview Chamber of Commerce and two individuals, threatening litigation for alleged "Defamation of Character."

While it is and should be, an egregious act to defame another, tempers do flare, and things are said that are out of place. The law firm demanded a public apology, and last night at the Chamber meeting, they got it. That should have ended it, and perhaps we should too.

One thing that bothered me, was that after reading the letter, it appears that this firm is without mentioning names, is pursuing the same methods. An excerpt from this letter follows:


"Your organization, as well as other groups and individuals in the Bayview Area, have, for years now, made unsubstantiated attacks upon our client, Waterford Park Homes, and Mr. Holland, personally. This law firm has represented hundreds of clients throughout the decades of it's existence. The accusations made against Mr. Holland since Waterford first became involved in Bayview have either been half-truths without the benefit of all the facts, or, in most cases, downright mean-spirited lies. The false accusations against our client have piled up one on top of the other to the point where no good deed, no matter how selfless, could possibly overcome the reputation heaped upon him by small minded, bitter people who need no proof to throw stones. It has been our habit, and the habit of our client, to rise above the petty insults cast about by the venomous minority in Bayview."

After examining this letter, and certainly not endorsing rude behavior by anyone, we noticed that the language here tends to be equally inflammatory, toward what is referred to as," the venomous minority in Bayview. We, having access to the "man on the street," so to speak, find two things wrong with this. One, although not mentioning names, other than the two named in the complaint, this law firm has castigated an entire community. Believe me, this is not a bitter minority. In our opinion, it is a backlash, or an attempted defense from an unwelcome invasion that is turning this area on it's head to no one's betterment other than Waterford Park Homes, LLC. While many rumors have floated about, one can't control the thoughts and minds of an entire community. Two many egregious violations of codes and fish kills have left this once proud little village in survival mode. There is an old saying that might be applicable here. "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

A nasty letter will not make peace with the Idaho Department of Lands, nor keep them from holding Mr. Holland's feet to the fire, either. This is my opinion ...

Oh, and did I mention that as a legal issue, you and your client are public figures, and as such are not likely to win other than a bullying contest. Trying to intimidate an entire community is tasteless and beneath you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are wrong Herb. Many of us in the Bayview community welcome Wetzel's letter and are thinking it is about time. We are sick of the "No Bob Gang". The truth is: Holland has benefited Bayview far more than the "No Bob Gang" has.

Word Tosser said...

For some reason the saying...
"Stick and Stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me" comes to mind.

It seems that Holland'disregard for proper permits and digging in fish breeding beds, they have shot themselves in their own foot.
Arrogance and disregard for rules, is not the way to win friends and influence people...

Bay Views said...

I will generally print those comments that disagree with me. Having said that, I had to delete one that contained name calling which I won't allow. Please keep it clean.

Herb

Anonymous said...

No, Jeanne you are the one who is wrong. The vast majority of residents are not happy turning Bayview into a Tahoe. You need to get out more. In fact I would estimate that you speak for less than 1% of the town. Just like the gun range issue, most the locals were against it, as most are against high rise buildings, displacing long time residents, violating every code, taking away public parking spaces and the list goes on. Remember when they wanted to close a street off in our town? The truth is the town's people supported you in your cause but since you are not a floathome owner nor live in the trailer park you don't care.

Anonymous said...

These ambulance chasers would do anything for money. They've hitched their wagon to a real winner this time.

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me. I have,as most know, removed myself from the "controversy". That being said, I still have many friends directly effected by Mr. Hollands complete disregard for the rules and values that most Idahoans hold dear. To see someone "in the the middle of things" actually support this way of doing business is Hypocritical considering the fight of a couple of years ago to "preserve the tranquility of Bayview". Ron Mackin, Former Chamber President.

Anonymous said...

I honestly believe that what is going on in Bayview is monsterous. The small town that I grew up in always felt safe to me. I could wander the streets alone or with the company of my little sister. This was last summer anyways, this summer I would take my nightly walks after I got off work at the Rib Ranch in Athol and find my self in the company of much more people. Who I might add were a little too drunk to really know which way was the proper way home. It terrifies me that my little sister has to put up with that still living there. Not to mention the ubserd, sorry if my spelling is incorrect. Bayview doesn't feel like the same place the I grew up in. Granted I'm only 20 and have only lived there for nine years, that's beside the point.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who would welcome Wetzel's letter to the Chamber is either out of touch with reality or doesn't believe in free speech.

Anonymous said...

I just learned of the comments made by a couple of dedicated Bayviewites making a joke about the names of the Waterford legal representatives. I, also, just read the letter that was sent to the Chamber from the attorneys. The words "Me thinks Thee doeth protest too much" comes to my mind. The lawyers made their bed when they chose to represent someone whose character is so questionable. Now, it seems that they are seeking more monetary reward by threatening citizens who are simply making a joke by calling a spade a spade (or a weasel).

My thought is that the Wetzels don't need anyone to defame their character. They are doing a fine job of that all by themselves in the choices they make.

Rain

Unknown said...

As for the weasel comment, I publicly apologize to weasels for the comparison made in Bayview between them and lawyers in general!